Situated in the central west of Umbria between Assisi and Foligno, Spello lies across the southern slopes of Mount Subasio, looking down on to the fertile valley of the Topino river.
Because of its remarkable environmental, cultural and artistic heritage it has become part of the club The Most Beautiful Villages in Italy.
Roman theatre, amphitheatre and city walls
The church of Santa Maria Maggiore (Baglioni chapel)
The church of San Claudio
Spello combines its medieval aspect of winding streets and ancient stone houses with numerous Roman remains: such as the town walls used as the base for the medieval walls; the remains of a theatre, an amphitheatre, public baths; and the so-called Arco Augusto, ancient town entry gate.
The historical town centre is still encircled by walls erected in 1360 taking in part of the Roman walls and three splendid gates: Porta Consolare (1st century BC), Porta Urbica and Porta Venere from the Augustan era, constructed with a triumphant arch, and on either side the 12-sided towers of Properzio.
Some of the most remarkable religious buildings are the church of Santa Maria Maggiore (12th - 13th century), with great art works inside: to the left of the nave is the splendid Cappella Baglioni frescoed by Pintoricchio, as well as paintings by Perugino there is an ancient majolica flooring from Deruta (1516). Pintoricchio also executed the large panel of the Madonna e Santi (1508) in the 13th-century church of Sant'Andrea, which also contains the Crocifisso by the school of Giotto, and the body of Blessed Andrea Caccioli, companion of Saint Francis.